Mom's Birthday at Saika Japanese Cuisine in Makati

June 3, 2012

Saika Japanese Cuisine
2282 Chino Roces Ave.,
Pio del Pilar, Makati City

While searching for a new Japanese restaurant around Little Tokyo, I spotted Saika just opposite of Seryna. The restaurant is huge with ample parking space in front and on the side of the building. By the time we got there, it was lunch time already but the restaurant was not yet full. We got a table by the window near the entrance. While ordering, I was taking photos of the menu but I was told by the waitress that I could not take photos. Darn! 

with my parents

I can't understand why some restaurants won't allow diners to take photos. Is there a restaurant owner reading my blog? If so, please enlighten me why you do not allow it. 


Dad wearing his Ray-Ban

If I find time, I will blog about my dad's Ray-Ban. It is pretty cool, don't you think so?!

kaisen set for my dad PhP350

There's sesame leaf in the midst of fresh fillet fishes. The serving is big enough to share considering it is only PhP350. For its raw meat, Saika has passed with flying colors because everything was fresh. 

shimesaba sashimi PhP260

Ever since DH egged me to try saba, it became my favorite and I order it whenever we dine in a Japanese restaurant. 

Shime saba is marinated mackerel.

tamago sashimi PhP210

How can a Japanese restaurant go wrong with tamago? It's the easiest one to make. I, for one, can make a mean tamago if I want to. Anyway, Saika's cook was definitely  absent during Tamago Making 101.  It was bland, not a bit of sweet taste into it. 

salmon sahimi PhP270

California maki PhP250

sanma ichiya-boshi

I think this order was supposed to be grilled. It looks and tastes like our local fish called galunggong. Nothing special, you might want to skip ordering this. 

Sanma means Autumn Sword Fish. 

ika shioyaki

DH gauge Japanese restaurant with how well the chef cooks Ika Shioyaki. The photo speaks for itself. It was nothing compared to Kikufuji. While the photo of Ika Shioyaki in Kikufuji looks juicy & tender, Saika's version is dry and therefore hard to chew. Btw, only the Japanese chef at Kikufuji grills the squid. We have ordered it on several occasions and the consistency is always the same.

DH is a very picky eater, he muttered something like he would never come back to this restaurant ever again. That remains to be seen because I always I believe that there is always room for improvement. I will still give this restaurant a second chance. 

Ika Shioyaki simply means grilled squid with salt.

DH ordered miso ramen set PhP280

dumplings included in miso ramen set

beef teppan set PhP350

For beef teppan set, instead of beef tenderloin cut into cubes, sukiyaki cut beef was served to us. It was not what is shown in the photo of the menu. Tsk! tsk!

We got 2 orders, one for me and one for my sis. I should have ordered a different item on the menu. My brother ordered ebi tempura set (PhP350) and gyudon set (PhP280). The gyudon order looks like the beef teppan set. 

each set comes with a bowl of rice, vegetable salad, miso soup, pickled vegetables and fresh fruits in season

choose from iced / hot coffee or iced / hot tea

There's a 10% service charge and our total bill amounted to PhP3850. I would suggest this restaurant to people who wants fresh sashimi. The restaurant needs improvement on a la carte items on their menu. Price wise, it is not that expensive. Set menu is available during lunch only.

If you have tried Saika, what items on the menu can you recommend?

Let's stay connected:

Email xoxoMrsMartinez (at) gmail (dot) com
Like xoxoMrsMartinez on Facebook
Follow xoxoMrsMartinez on Twitter
Add xoxoMrsMartinez on Google +