Food Trip: Wildflour Cronuts in Podium




September 13, 2013

Wildflour Bakery + Cafe
G/F The Podium
ADV Ave., Wack Wack,
Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong CIty
5718588

I was back in Ortigas the other day to finally get my long overdue security deposit from Philippine Stock Exchange (Tektite Auditorium). After getting the cheque, dad and I went to The Podium to try our luck to get our hands on the elusive Wildflour's version of Croissant-Donut or simply cronut. I take back what I said that I won't be back to Wildflour anytime soon ; p Is two months soon enough? Anyway, I was there for its cronuts naman ; )

 Wildflour CroNut Dulce de Leche PhP 150

We were there at quarter to three. I was told to wait until it's 3:30 pm before they will start selling one. Hmmm, they don't accept advance order pa ; (  I went back around 3:15 pm and there was a queue in front of me, when it was my turn, the cashier told me to wait for 12 more minutes. The waiting game really tested my patience (Patience is a virtue, correct?). The cronuts should be worth it.

I forgot if it was the manager or was it the waitress who told me to queue outside next to its door. I was the first in line. A few minutes after, when I looked behind me there were already 10 more people lined up. This cronut craze is really intriguing and I can't wait to experience my first bite, more after the break...


  Wildflour CroNut Dulce de Leche PhP 150

I really don't know what to expect. I didn't even know the flavors available until I was in front of the counter. I was told that I can order only 4 pieces of cronuts... MAX! I was expecting to try all flavors in one go. My dad was not in line and I was afraid people behind will scowl at me so I settled with Dulce de Leche, Strawberry, Mixed Berries and Vanilla while crossing my fingers that I made the right choice.

 Vanilla Cronut PhP 120

While waiting for my orders to come out, I asked one waitress what's their bestselling cronut, she told me "all of it!". Hmmm, I don't believe her so I asked the girl next in line and got this reply - Dulce de Leche and Tiramisu. I was not able to order the latter because of the 4 cronut policy huhuhu At least, I got one right ; p *Gives myself a pat on the back.

 Mixed Berries cronut PhP 120

If you want to know which variant is my favorite, I would say Mixed Berries. The berries evens out the sweet taste.

different creamy filing found in each cronuts
clockwise from left: Mixed Berries, Dulce de Leche and Vanilla; Strawberry (not in the photo)

I gave the strawberry variant to my mom. The other three was shared over dinner and breakfast the next day.

So, what's my verdict? I can live without it. Yes, it's crunchy and flaky but it was also laden with sugar (see photos), I was even afraid to touch it at first. Two out of four cronuts I bought was already separated in half (where the cream is found; see second to the last photo) even before I could slice it in the middle. Is that supposed to happen? It needed quality control, perhaps?

Anyway, I found this Cronut 101 from DominiqueAnsel.com:

  • Please eat Cronutsimmediately as they have a short shelf life
  • If you do cut, please use a serrated knife, so as not to crush the layers
  • Never refrigerate these treats as the humidity from the refrigerator will cause them to go stale and soggy
  • Since Cronutsare filled with cream, Dominique Ansel does not recommend serving them warm


Last night, I went to Dolce Latte in Quezon Ave. to order what else but its croughnuts (Yeah, that's the way they spelled it while Wildflour spells it as cro-nut). Read my verdict in my next entry ; )

Enjoy your Sunday!

Email xoxoMrsMartinez (at) gmail (dot) com
Like xoxoMrsMartinez on Facebook
Follow xoxoMrsMartinez on Twitter
Follow xoxoMrsMartinez on Instagram
Add xoxoMrsMartinez on Google +