Amazing Wheatgrass Juice... The Superfood

My visit: June 29, 2010

EDSA Garden House
Manila Seedling Bank Environmental Center
EDSA corner Quezon Avenue, 
Quezon City
9293189
aek_bldg@yahoo.com

I had my first taste of wheatgrass a few months ago. A friend of mine gave me a commercially available wheatgrass packed in a sachet by Easy Pha-max. I downed a glass which tasted like what else? grass! And I thought that was the last of my wheatgrass story.


 Last week, along with my MIL and SIL, we went to Manila Seedling Bank, not buy more plants but to taste freshly juiced wheatgrass. I asked a lot of question while watching the girl juiced our drink. I was trying to calm myself because I dread tasting another glass of grass tasting drink. But to my surprise, the wheatgrass tasted sweet but with a strong after taste though. I understand that as long as it's a 7 day old wheatgrass, the juice drink will taste sweet. Funny thing though, on our way home, MIL and I felt like vomiting/ puking. Thank God for candies inside the car! I don't know if it's the strong after taste or the prevailing scent that I carry with me. I took home the left over wheatgrass as body scrub ; p



 
7 day old wheatgrass 30ml PhP75


juicer approximately PhP20, 000


What is wheatgrass?
6 to 10 inches in height, grown for 7 to 14 days, wheatgrass is a variety of grass that sprouted from wheat kernels. It possesses therapeutic and nutritional properties.

Wheatgrass benefit
- aids in blood purification, liver detoxification and colon cleaning
- source of Vitamin A, B, C and E
- contains Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Alkaline Minerals, Potassium, Zinc, Boron and Molybdenum
- an anti- oxidant, alkaline- forming, has amino acid, chlorophyll and enzymes
- it infuses oxygen into the blood, thus improving the body's immune system 

Where to get wheatgrass?
In the Philippines, wheatgrass is available in selected health and natural food stores. I also saw several juice bars. You can buy wheatgrass , its seeds and its juice at EDSA Garden House where even the wheatgrass juicers are sold.

How to take wheatgrass?
Recommended intake- small amounts throughout the day on empty stomach, wait 30-45 minutes before taking other food and drinks.
For maintenance, take 1 to 2 ounces of juice a day or every other day. When you get used to the taste, smell, and effects of wheatgrass juice, you can now take 2-4 ounces a day.
For therapeutic dosage, 4-10 ounces a day spread out in 3 to 4 intakes within a day.
Did you know that wheatgrass can be taken rectally? Selected health spas now offer this service because nausea is common when one takes in more 4 ounces orally. In wheatgrass therapy, it is best to take the juice rectally to complete the daily 5-10 or more therapeutic quantity.
Wheatgrass has a strong cleansing action on the digestive tract and can induce laxative effect.
When taking it orally, it is recommended to to take a day or week off from drinking it to enable the body to readjust to its side effects, making the body more responsive when juice is intake is continued.
Wheatgrass can be mixed with other fruits and vegetable juices but not citrus though because it kills enzymes. Enzymes are one of the important parts of wheatgrass juice.

Tips on wheatgrass
Do not rinse the grass, it will hasten its decomposition when placed in the refrigeration.
Cut grass can be stored for up to 7 days in plastic/ glass container with lids.
For best result, cut grass should be juiced immediately.
Do not use yellow- tinge grass

notes taken from EDSA Garden House pamphlet.